Friday 16 September 2011

Hollywood star Sarah Jessica Parker reveals she puts family before fashion


sarah jessica parker Image 2
SARAH Jessica Parker is one of the world's most famous fashion queens thanks to her quirky sense of style.
But the Sex And The City star has dropped a bombshell that will shock fashionistas the world over.
She no longer has time to shop for her favourite designer shoes and dresses.
These days, she's just too busy being a mum to lust after the latest Jimmy Choos.
"I'm not a huge shopper," she admitted. "I just tend not to have the time and I think it would be nice to go to a department store or shop but it just doesn't fit into my day.
"But I do borrow shoes for work, like for today, I'm borrowing these shoes that I love and admire. So, I'm a fan of the art form and the product but I don't tend to buy a lot.
"That's just not part of my world. I see it as a treat but I don't get a euphoric high from owning a lot of shoes.
"I find that having children, if I spent that free time running around shopping in a clothing store I'd feel crappy about it.
"But that doesn't mean that I don't look in fashion magazines, which I love doing and I dog-ear those pages."
sarah jessica parker Image 1
Despite her confession, Sarah's sense of style remains hugely influential. She has her own perfume line and until recently was at the helm of fashion label Halston Heritage.
Anything she wears is photographed, whether she is on the red carpet or in the park with her children.
And for the designers, her seal of approval helps their brand go to stratospheric levels.
That's great news for Scots designer Christopher Kane after SJP revealed she is a fan.
One of her closest friends was the late Alexander McQueen and she often wore his outfits on the red carpet, including his stunning tartan creations, which were a nod to his Scottish roots.
Designs by Christopher, 29, from Newarthill, Lanarkshire, are already loved by stars like Kylie Minogue, Rihanna, Emma Watson and Daisy Lowe.
But if SJP is seen wearing his label it adds a kudos that's hard to deny. Now it's up to Christopher to take up the challenge.
Sarah said: "I think Christopher Kane is very, very talented. Of course, if there was something that was appropriate for me to wear and that I would look presentable wearing, I would be delighted, yes."
And this actress always needs new dresses.
Playing Carrie Bradshaw means she has a wardrobe most women would die for.
But it also adds to the pressure to constantly evolve her look.
So does SJP feel like a fashion icon? "Absolutely not."
It seems she would rather wear the tag of being a mum. She lives with husband Matthew Broderick, of Ferris Bueller's Day Off fame, and their three kids James, nine, and two-year-old twins, born by surrogacy, Marion and Tabitha in New York.
She said: "I love fashion but if I'm not working I'm really just wearing whatever is right to get out of the door, like most mums.
"Of course, there are occasions when my husband and I go out and we dress up because we want to and we go to the theatre or a friend's play that's opening. You just want to be presentable because you don't want to embarrass somebody."
In the flesh, the diminutive actress looks years younger than her 46 years. And it's something she is trying to maintain - but she admits work can often get in the way. And the last few months have been a busy time for her.
Her new film I Don't Know How She Does It is released next week and she has also been filming New Year's Eve, an ensemble film about Hogmanay, which stars Robert De Niro and Jessica Biel.
Sarah said: "Well, I was very undisciplined for many months shooting I Don't Know and New Year's Eve. I was very sloth-like.
"I felt awful not doing something and I just recently started trying to work out again.
"But it's hard to fit it in, meaning I try to schedule it when the babies are sleeping, and then I resent the fact that, while they are sleeping, I'm not reading a book instead.
"These are part of the conflicts but I try to work it out and I have a great person who I think is really, really good and she's very hard on me and I always feel slightly sick afterwards, which is good, I guess."
Although she's been working since 1980 starring in Footloose, Flight Of The Navigator and Honeymoon in Vegas, it was, of course, Sex And The City that made her a global superstar with six TV series from 1998 to 2004 and two films.
SJP knows she'll never escape Carrie, the character that won her four Golden Globes and two Emmys. But she doesn't mind.
She said: "I live in New York and I just take a walk and I remember every street corner where we shot.
"I'm always reminded of the affection that Carrie had for her friendships and for the city.
"And having played her for so long, it would be impossible to shed her completely and I must confess that I very much like having her as part of me."
But she reckons fans must be disappointed when they meet her and find she's not quite like their favourite character.
"I'm sure I disappoint people all the time.
"But I like to tell them before we're too deep in conversation that I'm sure I'll be a let-down to them.
"I'm shorter than they think I'm going to be and I'm never wearing shoes that are to the satisfaction of most people.
"I tend to not have make-up on and I look like much more of a mother or a person not being photographed than people expect, so disappointment is highly likely. But I hope it doesn't affect the exchanges."
Sarah dated Robert Downey, Jr from 1984 until 1991 during his drug addiction period but has settled into married life with Matthew.
So what's the secret to their 15-year relationship? She laughed: "Our secret is not talking about it."
In I Don't Know How She Does It, Sarah plays Kate Reddy, a financier who is the breadwinner in her family. In real life, Matthew holds his own, but she was recently called the world's highest-paid actress by Forbes magazine equalling Angelina Jolie's May 2010 to May 2011 wage of $30million thanks to re-runs of Sex And The City, the release of the movie sequel plus her fashion interests.
Sarah said: "I wish those numbers were true. I saw a new number this morning that I was stunned by. But they can't be accurate. I will just say that they are terribly off."

No comments:

Post a Comment